The grass cutting days

The Pastor called me to come forward. I walked to the pulpit. I looked out at my family. Their faces still damp with tears. Then I gazed down at the shiny black coffin. My father, Charlie Lyons, was gone. It was my turn to pay tribute to the man who taught me so much growing up on the Northside. How do you sum up a lifetime in 10 minutes? Then, I started talking about a special moment. 



Dad was always full of advice, but one of the biggest lessons he taught me one summer was about having a strong work ethic. When my brother and I were growing up, we mowed yards during the summer to earn pocket money. Dad was our salesman. He pitched our service to neighbors and offered a price they could not refuse. My brother and I got $10 per yard. Some yards were a half-acre. I later found out our friends were charging $20 or more for the same amount of work. 

Every time we headed out to mow lawns, Dad was there to watch. I used to wonder why he came with us. He stood supervising our work in the sticky Florida heat when he could have been inside. One day we were cutting our next-door neighbor’s yard. She always waited until the grass was knee-high to call us over. To make matters worse, we had an old lawn mower that kept cutting off as we plowed through her backyard jungle. 

This particular afternoon, I was finishing up and was tired and sweaty. I was just about to cut off the lawn mower when I saw Dad pointing to one lone blade. I thought about the chump change I was getting paid for cutting grass so high it almost broke the mower. I ignored him and kept walking. Dad called me out and yelled, “You missed a piece.” So beat and deflated, I went back to cut that piece of grass. I mumbled to myself: “That one piece isn’t hurting anyone. Why won’t he just let it go?” 

But when I reached adulthood, I understood his message: When you’re running a business, the work you do says a great deal about you. If you want to be seen as an entrepreneur with integrity, you must deliver a quality product. That single blade of grass meant the job was not done. Other neighbors took notice of the good work we did and we soon garnered more business. We started out with one client, but by the end of the summer we had five. The lesson my dad taught me stayed with me: Be professional. If you say you are going to perform a job at a certain time, keep your word. Give your customers the kind of service you would like to receive. Before I knew it, my tribute was over. Though Dad’s body lay inside the coffin, I felt his spirit there. Always there for me and always proud. — Author unknown

Comments